Dog saved after eating rat poison
We received a distressed call on our helpline that a dog who had been just fine the day before had suddenly started behaving very abnormally and was unable to stand or walk. When we reached the location we found a sweet family hovering over a dog who looked fairly normal at first, but as soon as we approached became as stiff as a board. His body had become so rigid in a matter of just a few moments, that if you didn’t know he was alive you would have thought you were seeing rigor mortis.
His symptoms were pointing to strychnine poisoning, a chemical found in many rat poisons. The deadly poison causes painful stiffness and as it progressively gets worse and worse, the animal can die from asphyxiation.
We immediately started treatment to stop the convulsions and gave him I.V. fluids.
We were thrilled to find that by the next morning he was much better, was standing, and no longer becoming rigid. After just two more days of treatment he had fully recovered from his very close brush with death.