Buddy was found terribly wounded on Oct. 11 2011 by a young village boy named Sohan in a village near Animal Aid. Sohan, just 9 years old, had seen Buddy lying almost life-less under a table outside of a school. The top of Buddy’s head was an open wound being eaten away by maggots.
Sohan had no cell phone or rupee in his pocket, so he waited for our ambulance to pass through the village as he knew it did at least once a day. When he saw our ambulance he waived it to stop and took one of our rescuers to where Buddy was lying.
On first sight, it looked like Buddy had no chance to survive and should be euthanised. But over our years of rescuing animals and treating many of the worst injuries you can imagine, we’ve learned to give animals like Buddy a chance. We weren’t sure we could save him, but we knew there was only one way to know. We decided to give him a chance and see how he got on over the first few days. If he went downhill we would euthanise him, but if he started eating and showed a will to live we would do our utmost to help him recover.
Once we got Buddy back to Animal Aid we immediately started treatment. We put powder in the wound first to kill the maggots while we gave him IV fluids to treat his severe dehydration. We then put Buddy under sedation and thoroughly cleaned and debrided the wound, and then bandaged him up. By day 5 he was noticeably more energetic. He was standing, eating with interest and appreciating being pet. Every day we cleaned the wound and put on a new bandage and slowly but surely the enormous wound started to shrink.
Buddy’s wound took several months to heal and it was almost a full year before he became the burly boy that he is now.
Today Buddy lives in forever sanctuary at Animal Aid and is a robust, playful and very naughty boy who loves to cuddle and rough-house with his friends Ganesh and Marge.
Thank you for sponsoring Buddy!