Dog submerged in rock-solid tar rescued!
We received a call on our help-line that a dog was stuck in a pool of tar behind the Town Hall in Udaipur, India. We immediately sent our ambulance to find a young dog completely covered in a pool of tar that had leaked out of a container. We could see his eyes darting back and forth in a panic, but otherwise he couldn’t move a muscle.
The tar was nearly rock solid, but still warm enough for us to pull the dog out of the tar so that we could bring him to our shelter for treatment. After pulling him out of the pool he was still covered with a thick layer covering the whole side of his body and much of his face as well.
At the shelter several care-givers got to work rubbing vegetable oil into the tar. After about 15 minutes of gently massaging in the oil, the tar began to heat up and melt at our fingertips. Slowly but surely, after nearly two hours of rubbing the oil he was ready for his first bath. 90% of the tar washed out in that first bath and we waited till the next day to start another round of oiling. The poor guy was exhausted and needed to rest and eat.
Over the course of the next several days we did more oiling and bathing sessions and by day 5 he was totally free from the tar.
He had an upset stomach for several days we believe due to ingesting some of the tar possibly in his early attempts to free himself.
After he recovered from his bad stomach we neutered and vaccinated him.
Please consider making a donation today to make street animal rescues and amazing recoveries like his possible.